Monday 6 February 2012

El Greco

When I first laid eyes on a painting by El Greco I thought it had been hung it in the wrong gallery! It was out of style, out of time, out of place: human shapes were distorted, the light-dark contrast was shockingly exaggerated, the faces were deeply expressive. I loved it, immediately.

And I would run through time to give him a big smackeroo for Gentleman with hand on his chest.

What do you think the man's hand gesture signifies? Is it a secret sign? Is he swearing an oath? Are his fingers fused? Is he forming a letter shape? Is this a Christian symbol of the cross? Does it mean nothing at all?

What about the golden top of the sword? Does that influence the meaning of the hand? Or his facial expression. Does it fit with his hand? Then the sloping shoulder... is he in movement, his form exaggerated by clothing, or is his shape significant in another way?

I adore it all. Especially how there are no answers. It's one of those paintings that keep me guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment